Monday, February 26, 2007

Coolness

Remember that thing I couldn't tell you about the other week? Well, now I can...

Ever since I made the switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox, I've been enamored with the plugins that allow you to do a search via the engine of your choice through a simple text box and drop-down menu interface. Wikipedia, Amazon, IMDB, tags for Flickr and del.icio.us, and even OCLC/Worldcat are now just as easy to query as Google, but what I've really wanted has been a plugin for searching HOLLIS, the online catalog for Harvard University Libraries.

Well finally I got my wish, as this week the good folks on the MetaPAC Committee officially unveiled Harvard LibX, a Firefox extension developed by Virginia Tech University Libraries -- that's right, the folks who brought us ILLiad! LibX not only offers a HOLLIS search toolbar, but other embedded search functionality as well, such as the ability to right-click on selected text anywhere in the web and search it against Harvard library resources.

Is there anything that those Hokies can't do, I wonder?

No comments: